This Sautéed Cabbage with Chicken is so yummy, satisfying, and healthy that I can’t say enough good things about it. It’s a MUST TRY, and I hope you won’t skip this recipe.
Sautéed cabbage is a common ingredient in Ukrainian cuisine, using fresh cabbage used when it’s in season and pickled cabbage during the winter and spring. We (the Ukrainians) usually cook this dish with bacon, ribs, and pork. Also, I cook vegetarian cabbage very frequently. Two or three years back, I decided to try it with chicken, and it exceeded all my expectations. It is by far my favorite dish on earth, and I can eat it daily with a large spoon right from the cooking pot.
This dish is also rather simple to cook. It takes around 15 minutes of the cooking period and 45 more minutes to finish on the cooker. Very bad, right? It is possible to clean up the kitchen and set up the dinner table while the dish is cooking.
Cabbage with chicken
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- - 1 1/2 lb boneless chicken thighs cut into small pieces
- - One medium cabbage
- - Two medium carrots shredded
- - 1 tbsp paprika
- - 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- - 1 cup chicken stock
- - salt pepper
- - 1 tbsp. hot sauce optional
- - chopped fresh parsley to garnish
- Warm-up a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and chicken. Fry for 5-7 minutes or until browned.
- Meanwhile, slice the cabbage into thin strips, just like you would for coleslaw.
- Add the paprika and tomato paste to the chicken. Stir, and then sauté for another five minutes.
- Add the cabbage and cook for five more minutes.
- Add the shredded carrots, chicken stock, salt, and pepper. Stir everything together. Cook without the lid, occasionally stirring, for about 40 minutes, until there is no liquid remaining.
- Add one tablespoon of hot sauce, if desired. Garnish with fresh parsley.