This Cabbage Lasagna is full of sweet onions, carrots, juicy ground meat, and melted cheese. You’ll fall in love with the texture, colors, Odor, and TASTE.
We’ve got all had conventional lasagna, but I prefer to give it a little additional twist each time I create it. This time I substituted pasta sheets with cabbage leaves and then simplified the sauce just a bit. Additionally, I made it upside down. Anyways, my friends and family enjoyed this Cabbage “Lasagna” tremendously!
What Type of MEAT TO USE FOR CABBAGE LASAGNA?
You may use ground pork, poultry, beef, or turkey in this recipe. I like it the most with ground pork.
- - about 15-20 cooked cabbage leaves
- - 1 1/2 lb. ground pork
- - Four medium onions diced
- - Four large carrots shredded
- - 8 oz. mozzarella cheese sliced thinly or shredded
- - 2 cups marinara sauce
- - 3 tbsp. butter
- - 3 tbsp. olive oil
- - 1 tsp. salt
- - 1 tsp. pepper
- - 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- In a large skillet, saute the onions in olive oil and butter for 15 minutes on medium heat.
- Add carrots and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add ground meat and cook for ten more minutes, stirring and breaking the meat into small pieces.
- Add 1 cup of marinara sauce, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Stir everything well and set aside — Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Place 2-3 cabbage leaves on the bottom of a medium-sized bowl. Spread a generous amount of meat sauce onto the cabbage leaves and add some mozzarella.
- Repeat layers until you run out of the sauce and most of the cheese (reserve a little for topping). Finish with the cabbage leaves.
- Place a baking tray on top of the bowl and flip the "lasagna cake" onto it.
- Spread 1/2 cup of marinara sauce on top and bake at 350F for 30 minutes.
- Take the cabbage lasagna out, spread the remaining 1/2 cup of marinara, and add some cheese on top. Bake for another 10 minutes until cheese melts.
- Let it cool slightly, garnish with chopped parsley and serve.