This Veggie Egg Cup recipe is excellent for a quick and easy meal on those busy weekday mornings when getting breakfast ready is a challenge.
They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Studies show that eating breakfast improves health and helps manage weight. It has been linked to reduced rates of LDL cholesterol (the bad one) and a lesser risk of diabetes and cardiovascular disease. It’s also among the tastiest meals of the day, therefore missing it would be a real shame.
Foil. The reason we don’t place foil over the egg cups at the start is that the egg mix would stick to it. We add the foil later because this will allow the veggie cups to cook with no bread burning thoroughly.
Feta Cheese. Great excellent feta cheese makes a huge difference. Employing high-quality cheese means better taste and texture.
Brioche. This French bread is ideal for this application because it has a high egg and butter material that makes it tender and creamy.
You can substitute or include several other vegetables in this recipe, according to your taste, such as chopped coriander, shredded lettuce, lettuce, onion, etc..
Meat. Meat may also be added, such as sausage, bacon, ham, etc..
Cheese. Any cheese that melts can be placed on the top (in this case, the foil needs to be adjusted so that it doesn’t touch the egg cups).
HOW TO STORE AND REHEAT
To store these Veggie Egg Cups, place them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 times. To reheat them, put them onto a microwave-safe plate and heat for approximately 20-30 seconds.
These can also be used for dinner prep. All you have to do is wrap the cups separately in plastic wrap once they are fresh, then place them in a ziplock bag in the freezer. They may be stored there for up to 3 months.
Veggie Egg Cup
- - Four mini Brioche buns
- - Four eggs
- - 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- - 1/2 cup diced tomato
- - 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles
- - 2 tbsp. chopped dill
- - 1/8 tsp. salt
- - 1/4 tsp. pepper
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs with a fork and then add the peppers, tomatoes, feta cheese, dill, salt, and pepper. Fold ingredients until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Cut the brioche buns in half. For each half, scoop out the center until the bread resembles a small cup. Pinch the sides and press firmly on the center to avoid loose crumbs. Place each container on a non-stick baking pan.
- Add the egg mixture to the buns using a spoon. The muffins will absorb some, so you may have to come back and add some more to fill them to the top.
- Leaving the pan uncovered, bake the veggie egg cups for 10 minutes at 350ºF, just so the eggs set.
- Place foil on top and bake for 15 more minutes. Serve immediately.